Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Wednesday French Inspiration


Arc de Triomphe

My first 3 hours in Paris were spent figuring out how to get across the city when the metro workers were on strike (as usual). Once I was on the train I was smashed against the morning commuters with my luggage; and my husband's hand on a cute french lady's butt. But I was loving it (I didn't hear my hubby complaining either). I just knew any moment I would be out of the metro and above ground in the city that had made my heart beat faster just thinking about it.

We had the normal getting settled into the apartment, and waiting for hubby's aunt and uncle to arrive. So we went and got our selves some pastries to pass the time. Once every one was there and accounted for we had to stock the fridge and get some dinner. I had been in Paris for half a day now and I had only seen the few blocks between the apartment and the Monoprix (excluding the view from the metro window).

Once our bellies were full of the hand made pasta and some chocolate, we bundled up to go see the Arc de Triomphe. (If any of your watched the Tour de France you got to see a lot of the Arc as they did the gazillion laps up and down the Champs-Élysées.) I think I about cried as I stood across the street from the Arc. I couldn't believe I was there. Hubby served a mission for our church in Paris and always claimed he would take me. I assumed it would be like the promise he made to me that he would dance with me whenever I wanted, and always want to cuddle, and you know those promises a guy makes to help convince you he is the one you need in your life forever. Well he came through on some of them, but others are still works in progress. But going to Paris, I really believed it would never happen. He laughs at me because I told him that.

So I stood there thinking this was the greatest moment of my life, and then I saw it. Not the Arc. No the Arc was glorious, but this was the monument of all monuments. It was the one thing that Meg Ryan's character wished she didn't hate flying so much, because she wanted to see the Eiffel Tower. It was only the top of the tower with its light circling the sky, but I was elated. One of my favorite dreams was a reality.

Have you had any of your impossible dreams come true? I sure hope so, because that is the stuff that make life worth living. I hope you will take a moment to remember and relive one of your happiest moments.

0 Awesome Reactions: