Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Maybe Tomorrow??


Let's go to the park? Let's blow bubbles? Let's dance? Let's ride the carousel? All simple requests. But who has time for simple things when there is laundry, dishes, gardening, cleaning, shopping, analyzing (how that got on in those places) ... REAL work. Maybe tomorrow after we get all of our chores done. But the chores are never done; therefore the fun is never had.

When was the last time you said YES to life? Yes to your dreams? Yes (this is a hard one...) to your child? I think sometimes we are so busy trying to shape life into what we think it is supposed to be that sometimes we forget to live it.

I think we all tend to have two types of to do lists:
1. The things we WANT to do
2. The things we NEED to do


As a child you only focus on the list 1. List 2 doesn't even cross our minds. But when we get to adulthood suddenly list 2 is all we can think about. Sometimes list 2 is so long that it paralizes our ability to accomplish anything. (aka - My house is so dirty/cluttered I'm going to hide in bed all day. staying in bed because of overload does not count as an item from list 1) List 1 that holds all our hopes and dreams gets ignored. And when we finally do take the time to work on our wants we spend the whole time feeling guilty for ignoring list 2.

Is this how things are supposed to be? Aren't we suppose to enjoy life? How can you enjoy life when you are worrying about other things?

I think instead of putting everything we want off until tomorrow... we should live today. Carpé Diem.

I type that post and think of how hedonistic it sounds. I am not suggesting we live carnal lives, but enjoy the lives we live by seizing our dreams and not crushing the dreams of those around us.

3 Awesome Reactions:

Jenni James said...

AWww.. your daughter is ADORABLE! I love this post! This has been on my mind a lot this week, hence my poston MMW Sunday. And I so agree. Seize the DAY! Awesome post. Jenni

Celeste said...

I think that one of the cool things about kids is that their wants ARE their needs. Sure, she wants to blow bubbles, but she also needs it. And so do you. You need to laugh and enjoy the sunshine more than you need clean dishes. My fear is that if I am too focused on me, when I'm finally ready to blow bubbles, the little girl who wanted to will be grown and gone.

Amber Lynae said...

Giddymom_ thanks I think she is beautiful but I'm slightly biased.

Cel - I know exactly what you mean. I read another post similar message just today. I think the feeling is going around.