Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Value of Work

Growing up I can remember doing dishes, weeding gardens, cleaning bathrooms, and cleaning my room all before I was old enough to start school.  I want my daughter to know the value of work.  I want her to know that the good things in life are earned, not handed over.

I want these things but have NO clue how to do it.  I have trouble letting her complete a chore that I know I will have to go and  repeat when she isn't watching so that it is done properly.  Little Princess is only three she will be four before the end of the year.  

What do you do to teach a 3-4 year old the value of work?  
Which chores are appropriate?  

4 Awesome Reactions:

Anonymous said...

I'm working on this, myself. *hugs*

Susan R. Mills said...

I remember those days. I was the same way. It's hard to let them do things that you are going to have to redo, but I guess that's the only way they will learn.

Cranberryfries said...

Oh we talk about this all the time at my house. Especially after we get home from the store and we've been bombarded the entire time with "I want this" "I need this" "I WANT this!". So not that i know much but here are somethings we're trying.

My 4 y/o LOVES to help load/unload clothes in the washer. Plus I make her do her own (I just started with my kids). I obviously stand there and help her but she gets to do it and then we both put it away together.

She also loves to wash dishes. It irritates me sometimes, like when she spills water all over the place but usually I can just put them into the dishwasher when she's done and she's felt like she's helped. (Also unloading what she can reach is fun too.)

My girls both like to clean the bathroom too. I let one do the toilet and one do the mirror.

Hope that helps some.

Mike Meraz said...

I do not believe in love at first sight but I do believe
in love at first vibe. it has happened to me many
times before. and those that I love I usually love in a
moment. I do not believe kindness has anything to
do with love, or how nice you are, you just love who
you love and that is all (though kindness does
nurture love). and sometimes this love may not
always be a healthy love, but it is undoubtedly a
connection that is stronger than any act of charity
can bring. I believe there is a spiritual affinity that
you share with certain people. and this affinity is
beyond logic. and that is why some people ask,
"why do you love them?" and all you can say is "I
don't know.. I just do." and it is because there is
something about that person that endears you to
them, that makes you feel, that brings you some
kind of identity that inspires you to be yourself. they
give you the courage to be who you truly are
because you have realized, "hey, I'm not alone." this
is why certain artists inspire us. it is a soul
connection. you have met a fellow soul mate.
someone from the same mold in a sense. I have this
theory about humans. I believe humans are a lot like
animals. not in the sense of being wild. but in the
sense that there are certain breeds. and when you
have met someone from your breed, you know it.