Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Like a Writer... (Typing for the Very First Time)

You've seen my header, and you may heard me mention writing a few times. But I've never felt more like a writer than I do right now.

I have been stuck in the pre-writing and conceptualizing for the same story for over a year. GASPS Most people would put me in the same category as all those people who always say that one day they will write a novel then never do. I have mile long list of excuses why it is taking me so long.

Over the holiday break, I was reading Orson Scott Card's book on Character and Viewpoint, and he points out that some people can jump right in and others take years to develop the story before writing a page.  He tends to be the later (he says).  Well evidently so am I.


I have had this concept milling around like a rolling stone.  I have been trying to work out the bumps and form it into some thing that I could put into words.

Well today I laid my precious princess down for a nap and I put 2000 words worth down into one of my most captivating scenes.

I spent hours in the car riding/driving from Virginia to Texas.  During that time, I was mentally writing and editing concepts and ideas.  Really visualizing the scenes.  I got to a scene that I couldn't wait to write.  It isn't even from the beginning of story.  But it had me excited.  I have almost the whole scene typed up.  I'm excited.

What if your style for writing? (If you aren't a writer, how to you approach planning a party.)  Do you mill out the details?  Or do you jump in?   Do you start at the beginning?  Or do you jump around and organize it in your edits?

Also, I have plans to attend LDStorymaker Conference this year in Provo.  Is anyone else going?  And are any of you Utah girls interested in attending a Bloggers in the Real World lunch?

11 Awesome Reactions:

Melanie Jacobson said...

That's awesome! It feels so surreal and yet so liberating to make a start.

Meagan Brooks said...

Yeah!!! That's all I have to say! I'm so excited for you!!! If you come down, you know I'm in! ;)

Becca said...

Great stuff. When I write (successfully) I write the scene I'm feeling. When I write beginning to end, it tends to be a little, um, stiff. So I put scenes down like dumping a bag of beads onto a tray (not just onto the table, because I'm careful like that), and then the "work" part comes by finding the thread to string them on. See?
Also, your title makes me laugh. And I'm singing along...

Kristina P. said...

I am a bullet pointer. When I have an idea for a post, I write bullet points on a sticky note. I am old school.

Susan R. Mills said...

Good for you! I have to say I'm the opposite. I just start writing. Although, I have decided to meticulously plan my next novel. I've already got a head start because as I've been revising my first one, I've been jotting down notes on the second one. Who knows, maybe I will be in the pre-writing stage for a year too.

Carolyn V. said...

I'll be at storymakers! Whoop! I seem to be jumping around a bit in my story and writing all the exciting parts, but why not? Hopefully they will be intriguing and all fit together. I hope!

Anonymous said...

I'll be there at storymakers. =]

I'm an outliner/planner. I hate going willy-nilly because I feel like I'm wasting my time. It works for other people, why can't I do it? Who the heck knows. I just know I have to write it the way I know how and then the words come.

Congratulations! I'm very, very happy for you!

V. S said...

I always try to write what I feel in the moment.

Cranberryfries said...

Way to go! I would really love to get a minute to just sit down and write. I'm planning on scheduling it in soon. Just as soon as my hubby is back in town. Thats gotta be such a great great feeling.

You're coming out to Utah!?!? Hooorah! I'm totally interested in a lunch when you come out. I'm really hoping to make it out to storymakers but it's a bit pricer than the other things I've done so I'm not sure yet if I can go. Either way, we need to go to lunch when you come out!

Dreamer said...

That is so exciting! Congrats. I think I'm in the category of maybe someday I'll write a novel then never do...
Maybe when my heathens are older.
Thanks for checking out my blog!

Olivia Carter said...

I just start writing. At least that's what I did with my last project. But it ended up having no ending. It's about 70,000 words with no end. It's in a drawer right now while I work on another project.

Next project, I'm doing more in the planning stages. I've got a pin board. I'm planning out scenes on notecards tacked up there so I can make notes on the back & move stuff around. It's been working well this time around.

P.S. I love that Orson Scott Card book. So good. Check out Stephen Kings, On Writing (if you haven't already) I really learned a lot from that one too.