Friday, January 14, 2011

What is it about triangles anyway?

I read my fair share of young adult fiction.  My current  project is a young adult fantasy.  I know I'm not the only one out there who has noticed the trend for love triangles in Young Adult fiction.  How did this plot line become so trendy?  Is this the only way for authors to create tension in a love story? Is the whole idea just way overdone to make it in today's market?

I actually quite enjoyed a post over at Midnight Meditations discussing this topic.



So what are your thoughts on the love triangle?  
Take it or leave it?

8 Awesome Reactions:

Kristina P. said...

I have to admit, I sort of roll my eyes, but I also enjoy them.

Olivia Carter said...

I LOVE THEM! LOVE THEM! I lived through a rather beastly, emotional, epic one myself so they are near and dear to my heart.

I agree with the article you linked too- they are predictable. I don't mind it so much but I LOVE IT when they really make me root for either guy.

And I don't think love triangles are uncommon. At least not in my or my friends exeriences. When you are young. You don't know what you want, so you try on all different types and sizes, etc. And you can like more than one at the same time, you know?

So I say... GIVE ME MORE LOVE TRIANGLES.

P.S. YA Triangles that had me fighting for both guys: VAMPIRE ACADEMY & NIGHTSHADE.

Colene Murphy said...

Done well, I enjoy them just fine. Ally Condie did an awesome job in Matched but it's a rare thing to accomplish IMO.

Amber Lynae said...

I agree with all you ladies. I have read many that are done well, and some not so well. I just find the trend fascinating.

Lara Neves said...

Hate. I hate love triangles. They drive me crazy.

I am also not a fan of the romance genre in general, which means I hate Twilight.

The love triangle in The Hunger Games was less annoying, but still, I didn't love it.

Chantele Sedgwick said...

I don't mind them in the first book, but when they finally choose someone in the first book and change their mind in the second book, it drives me crazy!! What was the first book even about then? Trying so hard to be together and then they change their mind and like the other person? It's stupid! Okay. Rant over. :) I hope everything is okay! I haven't heard from you for a while on here!

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Hi, Amber!! *waving*

I think that the YA love triangle is SO cliche, especially since Stephenie M started it. ;)

We'd have to create a brainstorming session to see what other kinds of love challenges youth face. :)

♥.•*¨ Elizabeth ¨*•.♥

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Miss you! I hope you were able to go to Storymakers. Tell me how it all went! :D